Career Opportunity: Electrical Engineer (Lighting Designer)
RDG isn't your typical engineering firm. We're a diverse group of individuals united in our pursuit to create meaning together - and we're searching for a mid-level engineer to join our nationally-recognized Lighting Studio.
RDG Planning & Design is an award-winning interdisciplinary design firm with architects, engineers, planners, lighting designers, landscape architects, artists and interior designers working together to create holistic, sophisticated designs for healthcare, college & university, senior living, commercial, sports, government and civic clients. The RDG Lighting Studio works collaboratively with all of the RDG office locations as well as providing consulting services to outside architecture firms and private clients. We are known throughout the industry as a team that works very collaboratively on our projects. We are seeking an imaginative, detail-oriented, organized individual motivated by the desire to participate creatively with our team and our clients. Our desire is to add an electrical engineer to our lighting studio team to enhance our ability to provide technically sound lighting designs to our clients.
As an RDG Electrical Engineer, you'll have the opportunity to work closely with experienced lighting design professionals who've had a direct hand in writing and updating local design standards. In this role, you'll focus on a variety of project types, including work for RDG’s College and University, Healthcare and Parks and Recreation Markets, and projects related to Worship, Sports and Athletic facilities, Museums and illuminating art pieces across the country. Along the way, you'll hone your skills and contribute to work that enhances communities regionally and nationally.
Essential Job Functions
- The Electrical Engineer acts as an authorized agent of the company and is responsible for delivering technically sound products that meet and exceed the needs of RDG’s clients
- Responsible for the production and modification of design calculations, engineering plans and specifications for assigned projects.
- Apply engineering techniques, procedures and design criteria for projects ranging in size and complexity
- Leverage technical knowledge, experience, and client relationships to assist in the execution and evaluation of project designs
- Perform electrical engineering tasks in support of the lighting design studio:
- Assign circuitry for Power and Lighting devices
- Lighting controls design, layout, sequence and specifications
- Power and networking design integrating digital building and site lighting systems
- Computer Aided Drafting and Design (CADD) in both REVIT and AutoCAD platforms
- Ability to function in an independent fashion with infrequent oversight
- Project management, oversight, and quality control of engineering projects
- Sign and seal electrical engineering/lighting documents as an authorized representative of the company
- Work with architectural project teams on all aspects of the art, science, and business of lighting design in a collaborative multi-disciplinary environment
- Perform lighting design tasks including complete lighting concepts and designs, luminaire selections, detail development and documentation, client presentation development, photometric lighting calculations and renderings, BIM/ Model production, lighting controls, energy and economic calculations, and specifications
- Perform Construction Administration (CA) tasks for both electrical and lighting projects including site observations, pre-wire lighting controls meetings and commissioning of lighting controls systems in the field
- Work with lighting studio staff in the creation of full-scale working lighting mock-ups in our lighting lab
- Enthusiastic: loves lighting, learning, and collaborating
- Proficient in REVIT, AutoCAD, AGI, Bluebeam, ElumTools and Microsoft Office
- Experience in Speclink is a plus
- Demonstrate ingenuity and creativity
- Experience with daylighting simulation and/or calculation software is a plus
- Familiarity with DOT processes, standards, and procedures
- Expertise with lighting control systems (ETC, Lutron, HCS, nLight, Crestron, Watt-Stopper, etc.)
- Experience with designing to LEED and/or WELL standards is a plus
- Required working knowledge of NFPA 70, ASHRAE, IECC codes and the National Electrical Code
- Ability to travel between various RDG offices and project locations as required
- Capable of lifting up to 50 lbs.
- Working knowledge of wiring techniques for lighting sample assembly and installation
- Fluency in English w/ good verbal and written communication skills are required
- Must have a bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering (BSEE) or bachelor’s degree in Architectural Engineering (BSAE) including coursework in building systems design, electrical power systems design, lighting design, lighting controls and codes and standards
- Required to be professionally licensed (PE) in one or more states in which RDG conducts business – Iowa/Nebraska (or have the ability to obtain such registration within six months of employment)
- Membership in IES and LC registration is preferred
Location: Des Moines but may consider relocation to our Omaha, St Louis or Denver office once established within the firm
Electronic resume and portfolio submission only: APPLY ONLINE
RDG is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.