DMACC - West Campus
West Des Moines, IA
Services provided on this project:
The visual impact of this design begins with the exterior, with its striking balance of strong lines and sweeping curves. The theme continues indoors, with high-tech computer seminar classrooms, a multi-media auditorium, and classroom and commons areas all echoing the energetic, rhythmic design. The design incorporates environmentally conscious materials and excellent energy efficiency, for a result both dynamic and practical.
Interior Design Overview:
Access flooring within each of the high tech room allows for classrooms to adapt for new uses and new technology. All of the mobile classroom furnishings allow for "on-the-fly" arrangements essential to the collaborative settings required in today's educational environments.
Designed pre-LEED, this facility was one of the first sustainable buildings in Iowa. The building is designed to be futuristic, conveying an image of technology while improving the impression of the campus viewed from a new south entrance. The new facility accommodates the technologies of electronics, computer-aided design, telephonics, art/graphics, and photography/printing. Features include: geo-thermal heating & cooling, under-floor air distribution, and daylight harvesting.
- CLIENT: Des Moines Area Community College
- COMPLETE: September 2001
45,000 Sq. Ft. of New Construction
- IIDA (International Illumination Design Award) Local - Merit Award - 2003
- IIDA (International Illumination Design Award) Regional - Merit Award - 2003
- ASHRAE (American Society of Heating Refrigeration & Air Cond - First Place - Technology Award - 2003
- American Institute of Steel Construction - National Award for Innovative Design and Excellence in Architecture Using Steel - 2003
- American School & University Magazine - Citation Award - 2002
- AIA Iowa Chapter - Award of Excellence in Craft - 2002
- AIA Iowa Chapter - Award of Excellence in Architecture - 2002
- View Related Project Types:
College & University,