Why a Zoning Ordinance Update?
The City of Dyersville adopted the Comprehensive Plan, Plan Dyersville, in July 2018. The plan is a policy document that sets out the vision for Dyersville in the next 15 to 20 years. A city’s zoning ordinance is one, of several, tools to implement the Comprehensive Plan. The regulations of the Zoning Ordinance should align with the vision identified by the community in the Comprehensive Plan.
Dyersville’s current zoning ordinance was adopted in 1963 and has undergone several amendments. The ordinance is outdated, at times hard to interpret, and inflexible toward new and existing land uses. The goals of the Dyersville Zoning Ordinance update are to:
- Allow community leaders and officials to make land use decisions in compliance with the Comprehensive Plan
- Ensure the City of Dyersville complies with state and federal land use regulations and statutes
- Fix outdated regulations, inconsistencies, and redundancies resulting from many small amendments over time
- Add new sections to allow, and when necessary regulate, emerging development trends
- Allow flexibility in site development for quality commercial and industrial development
- Encourage a range of housing types that fit with the character of Dyersville
- Maintain appropriate transitions and buffers between different land use types
- Preserve Dyersville’s assets like the historic downtown, parks, and neighborhoods
- Create an ordinance that is easy to understand through organization and illustrations
- Enhance Dyersville as a place of unique character and quality development
The Dyersville Zoning Ordinance Update includes regular contact and advisory review from three primary groups:
Administrative Work Group – Planning and Zoning Commission will be the primary advisory group who will meet regularly to provide direction and review deliverables.
City staff – Will respond promptly as needed to questions, scheduling meetings, and preliminary review/guidance on deliverables.
City Council – Will meet at key points in the process to be aware of deliverables, provide guidance, and ensure the ordinance meets the needs of Dyersville.
Refer to the “Schedule” tab above for more details.