The Zoning Ordinance project begins implementation of the Downtown and Comprehensive Plans to set the stage for Dyersville’s future. Each plan includes a series of implementation steps to achieve the community vision developed through surveys, stakeholder discussions, and community events held in 2017 and 2018.
WHAT IS the PLAN Dyersville COMPREHENSIVE PLAN?
Planning is the ability and the will to take a step-back, evaluate the existing, and then develop a strategic guide for what Dyersville wants to become in 15-20 years. A comprehensive plan is a process of establishing a collective vision for the future and then outlining a path to get there. Imagine Dyersville 20 years from now… What will it be like? How did it fulfill its potential and overcome its challenges? How has the community evolved and how do younger generations feel about the place they live? The answers to all these questions are encompassed in the Comprehensive Plan, PLAN DYERSVILLE.
WHAT IS The Dyersville DOWNTOWN PLAN?
A portion of the Comprehensive Plan, the Downtown Plan describes the desired vision for the future of downtown and provides recommendations to achieve that future. Downtown is a central space for the community and deserves a special focus. Doing so establishes a framework to ensure incremental policies and decisions help achieve those aspirations over time. More than a snapshot in time, the plan is a living document, used, referenced, and updated by decision-makers, property owners, businesses, and residents. The Plan also coordinates downtown’s priorities with general community goals.
Process to Adoption
The planning process Comprehensive Plan and Downtown Plan was completed between May 2017 and May 2018. The City Council adopted the plans on July 16, 2018. Process milestones included a:
- Community survey with over 450 responses
- Goals workshop held with the Steering Committee that identified the main themes, goals, and visions for Dyersville.
- Public design studio that allowed participants to work with designers to draw concepts and future land use areas.
- Downtown Plan Public Open House to present the downtown plan’s concepts and recommendations.
- Comprehensive Plan Public Open House to present the comprehensive plan’s concepts and recommendations.
- Two month public review period for feedback and comments on the draft plans before being presented to the Planning and Zoning Commission and City Council for review.