The design team was tasked with creating numerous concepts for the future of Main Street. One option is to do nothing. Other options include adding bump-outs to shorten crosswalks and protect parked cars, creating small plazas where parking isn’t allowed now, and shifting the street channel north of Session Street to create a safer alignment at Granite Street. Altogether, the team was directed to create five scenarios, including:
- Existing (Do Nothing). The street and infrastructure remain unimproved and state funding is returned.
- Modified Angle. Angle parking is retained.
- Primarily angle parking with some parallel parking.
- Main Street becomes parallel parking.
- Back-in Angle. Rather than pulling into angled spaces, motorists back into the stall.
(Click on the image to view full screen)
This planning process must consider and evaluate the implications for multiple scenarios. Each scenario has their advantages and disadvantages – safety and parking are critical subjects. What do you think? Send us a note.