The 1893 Lee County Bank Building is prominently located within Fort Madison's historic central business district. The red sandstone building is still the tallest building in the district.
Originally the home of Lee County Bank, this historic building has always been at the heart of commercial activity in Fort Madison. After many years of neglect the building has been rehabilitated into a mixed-use apartment building with commercial space on the first floor. The upper two floors have been converted into 14 market rate apartments, some with beautiful views of the nearby Mississippi River. The exterior received new historically accurate windows and extensive masonry work to correct the years of deterioration to the sandstone exterior. The interior still retains much of the original woodwork, including a grand staircase leading up to the apartments.