Saint Ambrose University - Ambrose Hall Restoration
Services provided on this project:
Dating back to 1885, Ambrose Hall has been the central focus of the campus since the college was founded. Originally housing all academic functions, including classrooms, chapel, gymnasium, and dormitories, it was last restored in 1977 and placed on the National Register of Historic Places. RDG compiled the building's existing conditions and history in the form of a Historic Structure Report. Upon completion of the report, the restoration began. This included removal of 1950s era remodeling of the distinctive mansard slate roofs and replicating these roofs based on slates discovered on site and historic photographs. Damage to the windows was determined to be extensive, so new windows replicating the original design and details were installed. The central clock tower was also restored, with new slate roofing, window details and a clock. Massive damage was discovered on many sections of the original brickwork as well as at the original sandstone foundation walls, and was repaired with matching materials. The original 1885 cornerstone, which had nearly eroded away, was also replicated.